Saturday, December 28, 2013

Knitted Bandanas

I like pom poms. There I said it! The girly part of me loves those little fluffy poofs of cuteness and frankly I miss the days when it was ok for me to wear them on a daily basis.

Sadly I have passed the point where they are no longer really appropriate (unless I sneak one on top of a cute winter beanie!!).

SO, I thought they would be a fun addition to some new items I made for the littles to wear.




Super soft and bright!
 
 
 
Collages make me happy : )
 
And so does knitting little goodies with lots of love. For those knitters out there (its ok, don't be ashamed), sitting down and making something special with some lovely yarn can be one of the most relaxing things one can do all day. If you're following a simple pattern, you repeat it like a mantra till the piece is complete.
 
Its almost as relaxing for my mind as a good yoga class. You know, minus the tight shorts and face planting during crow pose.
 
And then when you are gazing upon your beautiful creation... ignoring the gaping hole you made in row 14... you can feel a sense of pride and accomplishment wash over you.
 
As a mom, there aren't many moments where I can see the fruits of my labor. Most of it goes unnoticed. Sometimes their results may not be apparent for months or even years.  Washing dishes, cooking, cleaning and helping with homework seems to just fade into this blur of grey mushy banal monotony at times.
 
 
Going with the grey blurry metaphor here.
 
 
 
I think most mommas are such fierce and fervent crafters because we crave that desire to have something in our hands as proof of our hard work. Something tangible, something we can look at and hold onto. Something we don't have to worry about psychologically ruining because we sent it to a time out or banned it from ipad time.
 
 
Crafting is also a reminder that we are more than just the doer of chores or wiper of baby bums. We are beings of creativity, innovation, vision, passion, generosity, and infinite patience.
 
 
I was totally kidding about that last one.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

: